Wednesday, September 20, 2006

How Dare You

How Dare You

You say
Things should be orderly
Like the way roads
Should be straight

You say
People should be impartial
Like the center of
The world

You say
The world should be dependable
Like the unyielding
North Pole

You say
You are moderate
In the way you behave
Towards everyone

You say
One can be perfectly neutral
In the way you believe
You are

But dear,
Haven't you heard
That no one is perfect?

But dear,
Haven't you heard
That no one is truly neutral?

Our hearts are never
In perfect symmetry
In perfect balance

Towards everyone
And everything

My dear,
The roads can perhaps
Be straight

But not so the heart

Not so
the heart that is a map
Of twists and turns

Not so
the human whose heart
cannot help
but judge

Not so
My heart
That judges
In your favor

How dare you
Claim to be
Impartial
And neutral


How dare you
Forget that
You aren't

Not in regards
To me

You
aren't

You won't
Dare.

Kel. 20 September 2006


Disclaimer: Yours truly must apologise to *Wallflower if any sentences above happen to be similar to any of her scribblings. Suddenly in the mood to scribble something on the myth of being able to be neutral and impartial. I seem to recall that I have read something of *Wallflower that has something on the heart being full of twists and turns but can't recall exactly what it was. So if I happen to use the exact phrasing (gasp! I hope not but drat, you never know with my brain being able to remember stuff I read ages before), let me know and I'll modify my scribblings above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i see you've been going through my archives from 1994 to 2004 ... and just stopped short of finding it =)

the scribble i think you refer to is dated 1 April 2005; and the most obvious similarities (i think) are not to my scribble, but to the two lines I'd quoted from a Tennessee Williams' play ;)

Yours truly said...

Yeah, was trying to see if I can find the poem cos I knew I read something like that somewhere and I remembered it as yours. *grin*

Yeah, I quite like that 2 lines from Tennessee Williams. Now I remember its from Streetcar named Desire. *shake head* It quite escaped me yesterday at 3am. *ruefully*